Monday, October 31, 2011

Weekend Number 2- Halloween

This was Halloween weekend and that means, candy, party treats, and alcohol. Lots of yummy things that I am not indulging in right now. I love Halloween so I did still want to get dressed up and go out so I did just that. I dressed up as Freddie Kruger and went out to a dance on Friday night with some friends and then headed down to Calgary to have another night out with some other friends. I still followed my rules over the weekend keeping to the good stuff and drinking water. I still had a lot of fun. And Tonight I will be handing out Halloween Candy with no worry of eating it before any of the children show up.

I was getting headaches more than I am used to (I don't usually ever get them) and I was kinda worried that I was missing something in my new diet and that was causing it. But after going to see my new massage therapist (who is amazing) for my shoulder that has been giving me some grief for some time now he informed me that it was due to my back and shoulder being such a mess that was I was getting my headaches. So that was some good news in the fact that it was not the diet that was causing them. So if something is coming up make sure you are looking at all the possibilities before giving up.

WOD

50 Double Unders
30 Kettlebell Swings (16 kg)
40 Double Unders
25 Kettlebell Swings
30 Double Unders
20 Kettlebell Swings
20 Double Unders
15Kettlebell Swings
10 Double Unders
10 Kettlebell Swings

Time: 7:56


Some new things I did try this weekend was a burger (from Boston Pizza) with no bun and just got it wrapped in lettuce. This was good the burger wasn't the greatest quality but that was expected. I also tried a new recipe from "Daily Paleo" which was chicken breast stuffed with Asparagus and Ham. I did not use the ham.

Sorry for the sideways Picture


Asparagus Stuffed Chicken
- First have defrosted chicken breast and then cut it in half but not all the way through just so you can open it up.
- Boil the Asparagus ( I used 4 pieces for one) for about 1 min.
- add all of the ingredients into the chicken with 1 tbsp of EVOO.
- bake for 20 min.
- I also fried up some mushrooms, onion and garlic and had it on top of my cooked chicken.



For my other meals I ate the normal stuff
Breakfasts


- Probable the best fried eggs I have ever made the turned out perfect :)


- eggs, peppers, onion, mushroom, bacon, Kiwi

Lunch
Taco Salad-ish
- Romain lettuce, hamburger, salsa
- I love taco salads and so this is what I came up with due to my restrictions and I have to say that I really enjoyed it!


One thing that I do quite often is skip meals, this is either because I am too busy to make something healthy so I opt out of eating, I am busy and forget to eat, or I am not hungry. Some people would say that this is very unhealthy and that you should eat a million times a day. Well I eat when I am hungry as that seems to make sense to me. Fasting gives your body time to relax and recover allowing your digestive system to take a break. It is not going to cause our bodies to start gaining weight. Mark Sisson has several articles on this and they are a good read there are health benefits to this.

Mark,s Daily Apple - Benefits to Fasting

  • Longevity

  • Blood Lipids

  • Compliance

  • Cancer

  • Growth Hormone

  • Neurological Health

  • Autophagy

  • Fitness

  • Mental Well-being and Clarity

There are different ways you can fast as well. Intermittent fasting is switching back and forth from eating and not instead of going through a long spurt of not eating. I also think if you are fasting you should do it with only drinking water and not on a juice fast. If you are still drinking juice your digestive system is still working.

Ways to Fast - Mark Simmon

Skipped Meal:
As Mark alludes to in his comment in the 1/3 meals post, he likes to miss meals naturally or on an unplanned basis. When we listen to our bodies rather than blindly follow routine we find we’re not always hungry when mealtime comes around. Let yourself skip a meal when this happens, or plan a meal skip during a convenient time.

(I do this one A Lot, more unplanned than planned)

Condensed Eating Window:
The day’s food intake is condensed within a set number of hours, often somewhere between four and seven hours. The timing of this window varies depending on the individual’s schedule and preferences. The time since you prior meal or until you next day’s meal becomes the fasting period.
Early and Late:
For some, this option is more easily managed than the condensed eating window. The day’s food intake and nutrients are balanced between an early meal and later afternoon/early evening meal.
Single Twenty-Four Fast:
Most people choose to have a normal dinner and then fast until the following evening. Others choose to extend the fast until the following morning. For many people, this can be a weekly routine. Others may integrate it on a monthly basis or as an occasional event based on their sense of progress/plateau.

(I have tried this one and I have trouble with it I get really hungry and I am not a big fan of that feeling)

Alternating Day Fast for Week (or more):
This approach is often credited with a deeper “cleansing” character. Some people do it once or twice a year. Others make a seasonal commitment. You can choose to drink only water or include teas/small amounts of juices during fasting days. On the alternate days, some people choose to eat normally, and some opt for reduced caloric intakes.
One tip: During your “window of eating,” however long or brief it is, don’t feel that you should eat more than you might be hungry for. It’s a unique opportunity to listen to your body’s signals. It also serves as a way to “prove” to your conscious brain that you can survive quite nicely on smaller amounts of food and that you don’t need to “make up” for those temporarily lost calories. Of course, eating according to the Primal Blueprint at all times whether fasting or not means that you are constantly refining your fat-burning skills. This, in turn, means that you are not so dependent upon regular meals to sustain normal blood sugar levels, physical energy and mental acuity.
Interested in trying IF for the first time? We’ll highlight the “condensed eating window” approach (one option among many) to get you started. This approach, particularly with a fairly extended window, is very doable and can seem less daunting as you get started. Choose your own timing and length of window based on your schedule and preferences. If you can’t decide, you can consider condensing your eating between the hours of eleven and 5:00 p.m. Look for a corresponding IF menu in this week’s installment of “Eat This Today, Feel Good Tomorrow” later on today.

So there is no need to get stressed if you miss a meal or you get a little hungry now and then that is O.K. There is also no need to constantly eating all day when you are not hungry, for me that just makes me feel worse. So look into it and see if it is for you. Fasting can help detox your body and let it recover. So why not give it a try I know I do it all the time without even meaning to and most people probably do. Does anyone else have any tips or ideas on this? Does anyone fast regularly? I'd love to hear about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment