Thursday, October 20, 2011

Day 2

Well all is going well in the land of Paleo. Day 2 was another successful one.

                                   Breakfast
  • Eggs
  • Green Onion
  • Turkey Bacon
  • Spinach
- All mixed together in a scramble.

This is pretty much my favorite way to eat eggs and I have been doing this long before this challenge started. I like being able to just mix a bunch of things I love all together for a quick and yummy meal.


At work today I was surprised by my boss that all the office staff was being taken out for lunch at Earls. I knew that this would happen eventually but I was not thinking it would my second day into this. I did go with the knowledge of how to choose properly off of a menu as I have read up on this in the Whole 30 Survival Guide and on other Paleo like sites. I ended up choosing a steak with fried mushrooms. Originally this came with a side of garlic mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables so I asked the waitress if we could scrap the potatoes and add extra veggies and to make sure that the veggies were not fried in either butter or vegetable oil. The Steak was amazing and the veggies were just as good (carrots and beats). I know that ordering from a restaurant is never as good as home cooked meals but I am not in this challenge to lose out on the social aspect of my life and become a hermit, I know I am still going to go out and eat at restaurants so I am not going to kid myself by thinking it's not going to happen. There are ways to choose healthy while eating out.
  1. Avoid eating out. I’m kinda kidding, but it goes without saying that eating out at chain restaurants on a regular basis probably isn’t a good idea.
  2. Lobby for restaurant-picking powers. If you’re deigning to eat out, the least your companions can do is let you pick the place. Pro-tip: don’t use the word “deign” when trying to pick the restaurant.
  3. Don’t eat. Treat this as an Intermittent Fasting day. If you need visualization, imagine Grok happening across a rotting, stinking carcass. Doesn’t sound so different from most restaurant fare to me.
  4. Be a super modern forager. Scan the menu for anything that might work. If you’re eating Mexican, get the fajitas and lose the rice, beans, and tortillas while upping the veggies, meat, and guacamole.
  5. Make special requests. Yep, you’re gonna have to “be that guy” who customizes his order so much that the final product is completely unrecognizable from the original. Expect eye rolls and audible sighs, but those are a small price to pay for eating right. You can always claim gluten-intolerance or various food allergies if you want to avoid the hassle; they can’t ignore you then.
  6. Remember the 80/20 principle. Think of this as your “20.” As long as you’ve been eating and exercising right consistently, one random meal isn’t going to throw you off. Besides, you’ll probably wake up regretting it and will be even more strict with the food and the workouts.
  7. Make substitutions. All restaurants have vegetables. Most of them will be happy to swap out the starchy foods like rice, bread, or potatoes for steamed or grilled veggies.
  8. Get stuff on the side. For sauces and dressings of indeterminate origin, ask for them on the side. That way you can control their distribution rather than letting the cook slather your food with it.
This list is from Mark's Daily Apple which is actually one of my favorite websites Mark Sisson in my eyes is brilliant. This website has lots of tips on all aspects of health, and he is pretty funny sometimes. Mark talks about Primal Living which is close to Paleo it has its little differences which you are going to find even within Paleo. Everyone has different opinions and ideas about how things should be done and what works best and this is okay. It is actually a good thing this allows you to be able to look at all of these different ideas and mold them all into your own master plan of what works best for you. Everyone is different so there isn't going to be a guideline that fits everyone. So do your research, don't just settle for one person's opinion, look around to see what everyone else out there in the Paleo world is coming up with.

After work was soccer practice. These practices are quite a bit more relax than the workouts that I am used to but they are still fun. There is some running around and it does work up a sweat but it is nothing super intense. Being able to run around outside is also something I like to try to get as much as possible before the snow come because I know I am going to miss it over the long winter months, even though I am NOT a runner in any sense.  

When I got home I decided to make some mini egg pizzas. They were a recipe that I found and I like the idea of pre-making them and then being able to reheat them for a quick and easy breakfast.

                                         Mini egg Pizzas
  • Tomatoes ( I used Cherry Tomatoes)
  • Mushrooms
  • Green Onion
  • Turkey Bacon
  • Spinach
  • Eggs
  • Basil, Oregano
  • Coconut Oil
- First I cut up and fried the turkey bacon, then I put the tomato's, mushrooms and green onion in the food processor, putting the tomatoes in first to get them into a paste and then adding the rest and just using the pulse to chop the onion, mushroom and spinach up but keeping them chunky.
- When the bacon was done I then added the tomato mixture to the frying pan and continued to saute that.
- I then took the eggs ( I used 7 to make 9 pizzas) and cracked them into a bowl and whisked them until fluffy and added the Oregano and Basil.
- Then grease a muffin tin, put about 1 tbsp of the tomato mixture into the bottom and than fill 3/4 with egg (the eggs will fluff up in the oven)
- Bake at 325 Degrees for 10-15 min (if you leave them a little underdone then when you re heat them they will be perfect)
I had two of these for dinner last night and they were very good, and I am not a big tomato fan! My man even had one when he come home and he like them, and he does not like tomatoes or mushrooms.

I am really enjoying eating Paleo, the food is good and it feels nice to know that I am doing something to make my lifestyle a healthier one. I have noticed that I am probably drinking Red Deer dry. I am much more thirsty than I have been before. I have been told this goes away.


I found this as such a simple and cute way of explaining Paleo
















Happy Paleoing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment